Music Tuition, Workshops and Choirs
Scroll down for information about group instrumental and/or singing workshops, community choirs and examples of our recent work.
One-to-one tuition on PIANO, VIOLIN, FLUTE, RECORDER, VOICE and MUSIC THEORY
Whether you're a beginner, intermediate or advanced level player, young person or adult, wanting to work towards exams or just play for fun, we can help.
Between us we teach a mixture of adults and children, from complete novices to keen hobbyists, to advanced level grade exams. We tailor-make lessons to whatever level you require, depending on your ability, your goals and the time you have available for lessons and practice. Our current fees are £13 for 30 minutes or £26 per hour. Please contact us for more information if you are interested in one-to-one lessons. We teach at our home in Stoke-on-Trent. We are both classically trained and have Bachelor of Music Degrees (with Honours), but we also teach, jazz, folk, blues or any combination of these styles!
Group Music and Singing Workshops
We have led music workshops for groups of musicians at folk festivals and other events for many years (see our list of past projects below).
Working either individually or as a duo, we can cater for mixed instrumental ensembles of mixed ability and age, or we can run specific sessions, for example fiddle workshops or keyboard sessions. We also run singing projects and workshops, either as one-off sessions or as a progressive course.
The focus of any workshop session can be tailor-made to your requirements in order that participants get the maximum benefit. Any age, ability, combination of instruments, or style of music can be accommodated. Singers do not need to have any previous experience of singing in a group or choir and they do not need to be able to read sheet music.
Ultimately, any music or singing workshop must be FUN and ACCESSIBLE - these are our goals for every workshop we run. Contact us if you're interested in music and/or singing workshops. Our fees for workshops or courses vary depending on exactly what you need.
Community Choirs for all ages and abilities
Dan is an experienced choir leader and is a member of the Association of British Choral Directors. He is Musical Director of Endon Community Choir and Fulford Community Choir, runs a large primary school choir and is often called on to run singing groups for adults, youth groups and schools. If you are interested in starting a group, or need help with an existing choir, contact Dan.
Examples of recent workshops and projects:
- Summer Holiday Family Singing Camp - a 2-day intensive singing camp putting on a concert 'from scratch' in a day and performing in a church service the next!
- Piano/Keyboard Technique - residential weekend in Somerset
- Singing for fun - workshop during a residential course in Belgium
- Come and Sing - community singing workshops across Staffordshire and the Staffordshire Moorlands
- Massed Folk Fiddles – for young people in Nottingham a fun, mixed-voice choir for adults based in Endon, Staffordshire, through Staffordshire Performing Arts and Sing Up!
- Adult Beginner and Improver Group Keyboard Classes - a progressive series for adults 18+ in Stoke-on-Trent
- Folk Music and Dance workshops – whole school projects in two Stoke-on-Trent primary schools
- Folk Rock Band workshops – various secondary schools in OXfordshire and elsewhere
- ‘New Traditions Young Musicians’ – fun folk music for young instrumentalists in London
- Musicians’ workshops - various folk festivals around the UK
- Folk Musicians Weekend – adult beginners and improvers in Suffolk
- Family music days – in Yorkshire and Worcestershire